it’s us environmentalists’ most sacred day of the year- it’s earth day! it’s important to be green every day of the year, but today is a celebration of our earth, and a time to take the opportunity to make it a better place from here on out. for us, it all started with a third-grade classroom presentation, when we were first introduced to “the 3 Rs- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”. that day, at home, mom and dad were subjected to a lecture on why those 3 Rs are so important, and we’ve been practicing our own brand of environmentalism ever since. take a look at our top ways of doing our part for Mother Earth…
1. Recycle! nowadays, it’s easy to recycle; we keep a bin right next to the garbage can for newspapers, takeout containers (always wash ’em first!), and other recyclable materials. it makes for much less gross garbage duty, and it’s an easy way to feel like we’re doing our part.
2. Reduce! going to Starbucks? Take your own travel mug; it keeps your drink hotter/colder a bit longer, is a bit less messy (at least for us accident prone types), plus it saves you 10 cents! going to the store? take your own reusable bags; you save a few plastics, plus they’re easier to carry, and they look cute.
(a green don’t- shoulda brought my reusable!)
3. Reuse! we are big fans of reusing old stuff and giving it new life. and why not? it’s an easy way to find a bit more specialness in something preciously used; and breathing new energy into something old really gives one a sense of pride. around the house, in the yard, and even in our beloved headpieces. there’s nothing more special than sporting something that bears the charm of something a bit old, with it’s own story and history, and knowing it’s a one of a kind piece that only you have.
(vintage love with one of our fave new designs)
4. Plant some green! plant a few herbs or flowers. plant a lot if you have a yard; plant a few if you have a window. but just try it, and we guarantee you’ll love the sense of pride in eating your own basil (really, it’s so easy to grow from seeds in a pot on the window sill!) or enjoying flowers that you nurtured from a seedling.
(we planted some flowers. sir diddamus approves)
5. Take the time! take a look around you, and find all the ways the earth has provided us with so much beauty! everywhere we look, we can find it; even in a big city, just take a look at those gorgeous clouds moving by, or that patch of grass with a few stunning wildflowers. it’s truly amazing! if you’re lucky as us Chicagoans, don’t forget that we have a gorgeous lake right at our doorstep; take a walk along the lakeshore path and revel in the natural beauty around you.
check out EarthDay.org for some really interesting facts on this special day, which began way back in 1970 (see, we’ve been green for much longer than you thought!), and how you can do your part.